For the past few days I’ve been working at the Staffordshire problem. I’ve followed up numerous leads but in the end the best solution I found was to throw money at the problem. So 99 pence plus postage was wantonly dispatched to an Amazon Seller and I became the proud owner of an ex Kent Library book called The Staffordshire Landscape. It has helped me so much.
As a result of this book plus all the other leads I’ve been able to start to draw a map of Staffordshire dating back to before the Romans (This is only a very small part of the map)
The work is painstakingly slow but ultimately rewarding. However, it doesn’t help that it wasn’t until the early part of last year that I kept my records on a database, linked to the maps, before then it was vague references which no doubt meant something at the time but didn’t 2 years later! I eventually found the book I was referencing in my slowly increasing library of local history books!